Live Online Class: Shared Understanding: Leading cross-functional teams for maximum agility – November 2019
November 1 - November 22€990
Jeff Gothelf and Josh Seiden have teamed up to create this brand new, hands-on, small group and highly-interactive live online course for team leaders, managers and executives. Class size is deliberately small to ensure a high levels of attention for each student.
This course was specifically designed for those of you who cannot travel to a workshop or commit a full day or two of your time away from the office or home to attend a training.
We have taken the learnings we’ve developed from our experience as executive and team coaches, product managers and entrepreneurs and have broken them out into this 4-week course on Shared Understanding and how to lead cross-functional teams to develop it, in turn maximizing their agility. We designed the course to teach the background behind shared understanding and cross-functional collaboration, how they enable agility, the challenges to leading and managing these teams and what to do about it.
How will it work?
- There will be one weekly session
- The course runs four weeks
- Start date for this cohort is November 1, 2019
- Subsequent sessions will be on November 8, 15 & 22
- Each session will start at 12:00PM Eastern / 17:00 GMT / 18:00 CET / 21:30 IST (India)
- Each session will run 3 hours
- We will be using Zoom as our primary tool with exercises taking place within Zoom and also in other tools like Mural, Google Docs, Miro, et al
- Each cohort will be divided into working groups
- Each working group will have an assignment to complete between sessions
- Jeff and Josh will deliver the content together, live via Zoom during each of the weekly sessions
- Jeff and Josh will be available to each cohort via a Slack channel dedicated to the course and cohort during the 4-week course and beyond for an additional 3 months
- To participate successfully you will need a computer with a webcam, microphone, headphones and good internet connection
This course was deliberately designed for project managers, product owners, leaders of teams, and executives in any industry and working on any kind of product — not just digital ones — to demonstrate how your teams can immediately increase their agility and how to deal with the challenges that cross-functional collaboration can cause.
What will I learn?
- Why we need to change the way we staff and lead teams
- What a cross-functional team looks like
- How cross-functional collaboration builds shared understanding
- Why a Sense & Respond model is at the heart of your team’s shared understanding and how to implement it
- The challenges of leading cross-functional teams
- How to build team working agreements to create alignment
- How to use empathy maps to build empathy for colleagues and other disciplines you may not be familiar with
- Interviewing techniques for managers
- How to develop an outcome-based model for defining the success of your internal and process initiatives
- How to lead specialists outside of your core discipline
- How to build collaborative work plans
- Feedback and critique techniques
What do I get besides the class?
Every student, in addition to participating in the course live online with Josh and Jeff, will also get:
- All the slides presented throughout the course
- Access to all the templates, examples and guides used during the course
- A dedicated Slack channel for your class cohort to discuss course assignments during class and maintain beyond class. Josh and Jeff will join this channel.
- Email access to Jeff and Josh throughout the course
- Digital copies of Josh and Jeff’s book, Sense & Respond
- All the benefits of learning from the comfort of your own home without airport hassles, travel time away from family and work and a reduced cost 🙂
Who is teaching this course?
The instructors for this course are Jeff Gothelf and Josh Seiden. Josh and Jeff are the co-authors of the award-winning book Lean UX and the Harvard Business Review Press book, Sense & Respond. Both Josh and Jeff are veteran designers, product managers and team leaders with a combined 45 years of experience between them building successful products, agile teams and organizations.
Still have questions? We’d love to hear them. Just ask. You can also leave a comment on this event and we will answer it publicly.